Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Out and About

Three weeks from tomorrow Luke and I will be heading back to the states! Our time here in Haiti is already half way over! WOW! Where has the time gone? This is my second week working with the summer school students from Christian Light, and it is going great! Today was probably the best day so far. The teacher for the pre k class was not there today, so between Mr. John and myself, we had to cover everything. I started with the 4th graders. We worked on adverbs, reading comprehension, and had some conversation time. The students were super excited that they had me to themselves (I taught with Mr. John before). During our conversation time, I just sat at a desk and asked them questions about themselves and things they liked. As we were talking I would correct them, laugh with them, and answer their million questions :) It was fun! They think I am weird because I LOVE frogs, and most Haitians are afraid of them. Today we were watching a video on adverbs, and there was a discussion on frogs and toads! They all turned around, looked at me and told me that the frogs were only my friends because I am the only one who likes them! They all laughed and I told them I was going to get them each a frog! They were not really impressed with that :)

The other day Luke and I were sitting in our house, and I told him how I was happy that it seemed to be cooling off a little that day. He told me that it wasn't and that I was just adjusting to the weather. Of course I did not believe him, but he had me go to the thermometer and check the temp....it was 95 degrees in the house! I was shocked! So I guess we are adjusting to the heat, and now I appreciate air conditioning SO, SO, SO, much! I remember complaining this year at school about it being 90 degrees in May and that it was too hot for me! Sorry Mr.Clarke, I promise to never complain again :)

This past weekend Luke and I decided to drive around downtown and check out the sites. Here are some pics of our adventure, also, This afternoon Jacqueline showed me how to make picklies!

Photobucket Photobucket

These are Tap-Taps (Haitian Taxi's). I was trying to sneak these pictures, so I took them through the dirty car window, but as you can see, they stuff themselves in tap-taps :)
Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket

4 comments:

Jenna said...

You're so cute! I MISS YOU!!!

Unknown said...

Becca - your pictures are gorgeous! We can't wait for you to come back and hear all about your Haiti adventures in person.

Anonymous said...

This is awesome! I can picture you getting frogs for everyone....I can also picture how much the kids love you already.

Dad and I are excited about Picklies...you HAVE to show me how to make it!!

Anonymous said...

I love the color of the tap tap I am going to paint the memebus that color,,,caden will love it...Love you mom and dad....