Saturday, July 5, 2008

Teaching

I have tried several times to get a blog up this week, but between the weather and internet connection it did'nt happen, so finally an update :)

This week I started working with a fourth grade class and a pre k class for summer school. I am working at Christian Light School with missionary Sherri Fausey. The students in the fourth grade class are primarily working on their English (vocabulary, reading comprehension, and speech). It has been a lot of fun working with these guys! Because they are working on their English all they are allowed to speak is English, so I am able to communicate with them and also understand them. I have been working with them on reading comprehension, vocabulary skills, and correcting their English, and although it has been slow, they are already making improvements after week 1. As a part of working on their speech, I have them interview each other and then introduce each other to the class. Doing this has really allowed me to get a better picture of their life and background. Most of the children have come from Cite Soleil, and moved to the Ravine (the village where Sherry has her ministry) in 2004. For those who are unfamiliar with Cite Soleil, it is one of the poorest sections in Haiti. Many of the gangs and much of the violence you hear on the news about Haiti, either started in or came from Cite Soleil. In 2004 Haiti was in an uproar with political issues (when aren't there political issues in Haiti, I know), gangs, murders, rebels, and much more. During this time no where was really safe, but Cite Soleil was the hot spot. That is when a number of people left and planted themselves at the Ravine. So needless to say, they have quite the background.

The students in the pre k class are just cute! Here I work with them on their short vowel sounds and small words with those sounds. They do not speak a lot of English, and the English they do know is very rehearsed. When the teacher says good morning, they together say "good morning, how are you" and so on. It has been fun and such an honor to see their faces when they recognize a word in our stories that they can read. Every morning this class also sings! They are amazing singers, and they really shout to the Lord. I have a video that I will try to load up here (it took me about 4 hours to load it onto another website, but I will try). It has been more of a struggle teaching this class because they do not speak English, and although I do have a someone working with me on my creole, I am so far from being able to communicate with them.

I am so pumped for week 2, as you can tell I LOVE working with these precious children. Luke and I are doing well, praise the Lord! Thank you all for your prayers, we feel them every day!

Photobucket Photobucket
Chris and Alex working on their book reports. Djenny and Djennis working on theirs.

Photobucket Photobucket
Cristella working on hard on her ABC's! Working on penmanship.

Photobucket

"Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth.
Psalms 127:3-5























2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Becca, That story touched me so much, I love you so much and I am so proud to say that is my daughter. I tell everyone what you are doing. Be safe my daughter, the Lord is watching over you and always will. Love you both MOM

Anonymous said...

Becca, you are SO doing what God has gifted you for...and what a blessing it is to hear all about it!! Those kids will have learned so much by the end of your time there...it will be amazing. Love you guys and praying every day, Mom