Saturday, July 26, 2008

Soccer and a Pig

This week has been filled with many different things as we are trying to wrap up our time here in Haiti. I spent the week at Sherry's school working with another team with their VBS. This was a great experience, as there were a lot more people on this team as last week's team, so I could spend more one-on-one time with the children. We had lots of fun! This is the team that has the soccer coach on it, so all week they had been taking an hour after VBS learning about soccer; the rules, the layout, and how to play! Yesterday, after many days of drilling, running, and practice plays they were finally ready for a real game! It was so much fun to see all these children on their own teams playing on the field that took almost two weeks to clear out! They really enjoyed it, and the adults that were playing with them were so encouraging! At the end of the game one of the teams did win, but the children were just so excited that they played a real game, played it correctly, and had so much fun, that it did not matter which team one. They all cheered, jumped up and down, and hugged each other in excitement :) What a sight! At the end of the day it was time for me to say good bye to all the students. This was not my favorite part, but I will be back!
Photobucket Photobucket

On the way back to our house Luke had to stop by a church so my friend Brittany and I walked around a bit. Our first stop was on a bridge where we found a fat pig sleeping in piles of trash and water. He was a happy fat pig, but it really was sad to look at all the trash in what was suppose to be a river. The Haitians throw trash anywhere! There are dumpsters along the major road, but these are usually over flowing with trash, and you still see trash everywhere! Brittany and I were talking about the trash and the country while walking up the road. We decided to sit on some cinder blocks we found while talking about why be missionaries to a country that does not seem to be going any where. While those words came out of our mouths we heard "Hosanna...hoo..hoho.." I turned and saw four little children running over to us singing and motioning the songs that our team from Danville Baptist Church taught them during a VBS they did over a month ago! One of the little girls came right over, sat on my lap, and asked me if I remember her. I told her I did, and I was happy she remembered the team and the songs. That is all I needed to answer my question about coming to Haiti as a missionary! Praise the Lord for His work in these people, and myself!

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haiti has touched so many of us, and God uses everything for His purpose. Good lesson for us all to learn!
Nice piggie....nice BIG piggie...!

Anonymous said...

The field looks great! It's an awesome lesson for the kids to see that outcome of HARD WORK! Your right that fat piggy does look happy! have a safe flight home! love u both michelle

Anonymous said...

Becca,do not ever doubt why you are there. The Lord is guiding you for a purpose. What would those people do (expecially the children) without you. The Lord gave you wonderful gifts.
Love mom
PS, I love the big happy pig,