Thursday, July 23, 2009

Hard

Haiti is hard! Things seem to be going nonstop for us since we last posted. I am back to teaching summer school after the children having a week off, and I was even able to split some of my time with Beth! Teaching has been great. We have finished with science and moved on to Language. This week we focused on description words by describing ourselves and comparing our descriptive words with other things. Here is an example from one of them:

Jean
I am tall like a tree
I am dark like a brownie
I am smart like my teacher
I am angry like a dog with an empty belly
I am happy like a monkey
I am excited like a soccer player



Working hard!

This class was working on describing their partner!


It was so cool to see what the children were writing and what things they came up with to compare their descriptions! We are really having too much fun! Today we spent an hour playing sight word Bingo! Every time someone won it was their turn to call the words, but they had to use the word in a sentence. They thought that was great, and they said they felt like they were the teacher :) I love it!
Tuesday I went to Beth's and taught a class of moms about child development. It was really great and there were a ton of moms there! The mom and Daniella that I wrote a post about earlier were even there! I was so excited to see her come on her own! Daniella has gained a pound in a week, mom is breast feeding some and doing a great job, and when I picked her up I saw a smile and she smelled so good! Mom likes putting lotion on her :) I just cannot believe how great she is doing! Praise the Lord!

The moms come in and get their baby weighed

Then they are fed two hard boiled eggs, and a bowl of high protein enriched rice!


Tuesday morning before the class my buddy Jean Peter came with his mom, but this time he was sick! This little guy has already been brought back from death, made it through pneumonia, and now he came with the chicken pox!! He was COVERED! It was horrible. Mom said he has just been miserable and has not been eating, or anything. He runs fevers and the bumps keep coming up! She was doing a great job feeding, and we could tell that she had put some powder and stuff on him to help. We gave him some Tylenol and completely rubbed him down with calamine lotion! That was one pink baby when he left. I felt so bad for him. Other then that there was not anything else too horrible Tuesday. Mom's came into the clinic with their babies, but they needed birth control, and there was one with a cold, and another one with the chicken pox! It is going around like crazy!

Poor baby, he was out of it!

9 months old and already has gone through so much !


This morning was hard for Luke and I. Yesterday afternoon there were some gun shots in the area due to a robber, but all was fine and the police caught the robbers. It was intense at first, but we were perfectly safe where we were location wise, and the Lord is always with us. After being on alert that afternoon and night we awoke this morning to hear that there was a death of a church family member back in NH, and then we were scrambling to get going on time this morning. When I got to school and went upstairs there were four people circling a mom with a baby. I knew it was not good when I saw them, but when I looked at the mom she was in tears, and praying over her baby. I looked at the baby and noticed instantly that there was something physically handicapping her. Her hands and feet were tight and she was not relaxed. She was also having tremors. We could not figure it out, but there was that and she was literally starving! She has a cracker hanging out of her mouth, and mom said that is how she feeds her, but the baby was just there with the cracker hanging out of her mouth. I took it out and noticed more inside her mouth. This child cannot chew on her own! No wonder you can see her bones! Mom told us that her child is like this because of a spell casted on her by voodoo. I took the baby in my arms and noticed how she weighs hardly anything and that she had lots of teeth to be a baby. She was long, but the teeth told us she was not a baby. When we asked the mom said she was three!!!!! Unbelievable!!!! This three year old was so small and starving that I was able to fit a newborn diaper on her with no stretching at all!!!! I changed her because she did not have a lot of clothes on and the mom would not take her to the hospital naked. As I was putting her on the floor to change her, the mom laid her hands on the child's legs and prayed! I could not understand all of the prayer, but I know mom knew Jesus, and knew Him in her heart! We got her changed and Sherry paid for them to get to the hospital! No word of anything yet, just that they were able to get into the hospital and now just waiting for the doctor. Praise the Lord she got that far! So what a morning we have had.....some times Haiti is hard.

1 comment:

Dana said...

wow Becca that is hard!