Thursday, July 2, 2009

School

Yesterday Luke and I needed to go to the market. On our way back we were stopped at a red light when Luke saw a lady who was selling corn (cattle corn is what we call it) on the side of the street on her little coal grill. Luke turned to me and wondered if he should buy on. "Are you serious?" I asked him and before I knew it he was in his wallet getting money out to buy one. We called the lady over to our car, and with her she brought four of these cobs. Luke talked to her and found out how much it was, but our light turned green and we needed to get going. Do not worry though we managed to get three of these delicious looking corn on the cobs! It tastes like popcorn, but burnt and it is on a cob. It was a fun experience. Now that I have eaten off the street (which we do not so because of risk, but some things are ok), Luke is going to try to get me to get a chicken dinner.....the answer is already no! Luke ate all his corn, we gave the other to the guy at the gas station, and this is what I ate of mine....then I gave it to the cows. They loved me :)



Today was my first day teaching English. I had done some small lessons earlier, but mostly read books and worked on reading comprehension. I started the morning with the 6th graders. It was so fun because I worked with most of these guys last summer. They have grown so much and are so smart!!! I am so proud of them! We worked on some grammar and vocabulary. At the end we played pictionary....I gave them vocab words to draw and the team had to guess which word it was. It was a lot of fun, and these guys really get into it :)





My next class is the fourth graders. These guys need a lot of help with their English. They have a lot of vocab words and can spell anything! They just need a little more work on verbs and putting sentences together. I am having so much fun with them! Today we focused on writing what they were going to do this afternoon and what their favorite animals is and why. Their paragraphs were well written! When we were coloring our pictures we were just talking and I was getting to know them more. They have all heard about Michael Jackson and asked me why he was black when he was little, but when he grew up he was white? That one was a hard one to answer! We managed to get away from the topic, and I had a blast laughing with them, and listening to them quiz me in creole :). I cannot wait for tomorrow!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

keep up the good work!!!

Anonymous said...

love michelle...lol

Anonymous said...

Awesome stories...you're making a difference for these kids. Great job!

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing person honey,