Sunday, July 12, 2009

School+Science= FUN!!!

This week in school I have devoted it to science. We have done a few different experiments each day. I have two classes each day; the first 6th graders (12 of them) and the second 4th and 5th graders (13 of them). My 6th graders have been so much fun because I worked with them last year, so to be able to work with them again, and see how much they have learned and what they remember with me is really rewarding!

Each experiment we did really made my students excited, but there is one in particular that we were suppose to do three experiments that day (I had planned for three at least), but they got so excited that we only accomplished one :). One of the main ingredients in the cement they use here is lime. I asked them what it was in the cement that made their houses and walls stick together and they all said it was water. Well I poured water on their hands and asked them why their hands were not sticking together like glue, and they were stumped. We tried a couple of other ideas that they had, but those all failed too. We were stumped. I then explained the combination of the stuff in the cement and rocks that are combined here (by hand, they do not have mixing trucks here...I think they may have two, but way too expensive to rent), to make the blocks stick together. They were interested in more, so we went out to the street to collect some rocks to test them to see if they had the lime in it used to make the sticky stuff that holds their walls and houses together.

While out in the streets picking out the rocks we were going to use we had a lot of strange looks and other people coming up to us trying to figure out what we were doing. In a Haitian school this type of teaching is unheard of. It mostly consists of the students repeating everything the teacher says and memorizing their work. Once everyone found their rocks we went back into our classroom and wrote out our reports. Once those were finished we started the experiment! The rocks that fizzed when put in vinegar had lime in them; the ones that did not, do not have lime in them. We had a pretty even amount that did and did not. When their rocks started to fizz they got super excited and started to shout! They had never seen anything like that before. One of my students jumped up and started laughing and calling my name! I thought he got some vinegar in his eye, or drank it after I explained to them how bad it tasted! When I got to him he held his cup to my ear and asked if I could hear the fizz! They all started to listen to their cups and each others! This went on for about an hour! They were so excited! After their rocks stopped fizzing we took them out of the cups and noticed that what was left over was a glue like substance that helps stick the blocks together for their houses and walls! They could not believe it! It was amazing and a blessing to see them figure that out on their own, and see how it is all connected!

Roosevelt (with the hat) and Mackenson testing their rocks

Jean (pronounced John) is listening to his fizz!

Val (left) and Alex (right) are listening to each other's fizz :)



The cup of rocks, vinegar, and fizz!


These are my 4th and 5th graders! We did a study on plants and leaves to see how God created them to work. Here they are shading over leaves to get a closer look at the details of each leaf.

Working hard, and having fun!

My classroom :)

Nerline playing with play doe! They had so much fun :)


Caleb looking through his play doe

LUNCH!!! There is a feeding program here at the school and the children recieve breakfast and lunch!

Full belly and ready to go home :)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are amazing Becca, you give so much love to these children and expect nothing in return. You are truly a gift from the Lord. Love you!