Monday, July 6, 2009

The Weekend Happenings and Monday!

Wow, what a weekend! Luke and I ended the week (to our surprise) with our last day of EDH. EDH is our electricity that we usually get every night. This is just enough to charge our inverter batteries to last us through out the day. Friday was the last time we received EDH. There is something wrong with the transformer and it needs to get fixed. Nothing in Haiti gets done fast, so we are waiting, but hear that it will be fixed Wednesday or Thursday this week. We will see! Last night Luke was out and I was just about to finish up the dishes when the inverter went out and I was in the kitchen with my hands in bleach water completely in the dark! I was not very happy, rather scared to death! I was mostly scared that I would get eaten by a bug, but no worries, I was not. Everything turned out fine! We just have not had a fan during the night, and it has been HOT! Hard to sleep, but God sent a tropical storm today that dropped the temperature 30 degrees and a gorgeous wind! We are happy campers right now :)



On Friday one of the cows at the chapel gave birth to a baby girl! She is the little brown calf in the back! So cute, and I got to hold it :)

Luke and I went to check out some great sights of Port-au-Prince!



Saturday morning a missionary couple had a team of vets in and wanted to see if we needed any help at the chapel. We needed to pull some bushes, trees, and move some brush, so they were well needed!

Starting with the tree! This was hard work!


Keith (one of the missionaries, and a vet) decided to attack another tree!

Luke went over to help.

Here Luke is sharpening the very dull axe.


Finally Keith's tree is down and the team come to haul it out of the play ground!

By the time that was done, the bigger tree was ready for some tugging! The men tied it up and played tug-of-war! It may appear that the tree is winning, but just wait!

See, the men quickly get their bearings and are really fighting back!

AND THE WINNER IS......................... THE MEN!!!! Men 2 Trees 0

After wrestling with the trees and playing with the cows the team left to get lunch! Luke and I got cleaned up and went off to help our friend Julio. We met up with the team later at a compound of another missionaries place. There they have some goats that needed deworming and vaccinations. I was not sure how this was done, so Luke and I tagged along to see!

It was really hard to get these guys together, then to catch each one for a vaccination shot and some deworming medicine. Not easy folks! Not at all!

Look, I am holding a little goat! That makes one cow, one goat, and one 10 week old puppy! I could get use to this farmer thing...maybe :)

After the goats came the horses....I did not hold one of these! They were not a fan of the whole vaccination and deworming stuff.

Sunday was great! Luke had an amazing sermon, and worship was incredible! The afternoon was spent with relaxation and a nap :) Monday came fast and this week is Science! The students and I tried three experiments. First we looked at oil and water. The students were shocked that oil and water did not mix, but the water and food coloring did. It was so funny to listen to them and see their faces as I poured the oil into the cups of water! Next we are turning salt water into fresh water, which we will see how that worked out tomorrow. The last experiment we did was planting beans. They were so great and really enjoyed the hands on activities! I cannot wait to see what tomorrow brings!

Excited that their experiments work! They could believe it!

Still trying to figure out why it would not mix together even when he tried to mix it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you are amazing for hugging the baby calf and holding the goat!